Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Missing Israel


Hey! It's been a few weeks since we've returned from Israel and I've just started school. In my Spanish class I accidentally said b'vakashah instead of por favor but Israel has been so present in my life in so many other ways. I often think about the incredible experiences we had, especially our time with our partner cohort in the Upper Galilee.
The only other time I'd been to Israel prior to this trip was when I was 8 months old, so this was pretty much my first time experiencing it all. I was amazed by the history and beauty of Jerusalem. I also loved the juxtaposition of old and new that is seen in Jaffa and Tel Aviv. Visiting Independence Hall was especially meaningful to me because of the significant history of the hall. I thoroughly enjoyed shopping in the shuks, which was something we did in almost every city we visited. Sleeping under the stars in the Negev and then climbing the Ramon crater (while learning about how the crater was formed) was surreal, especially when we reached shade (and had a meditation!) and then when we reached the remnants of an ancient desert shelter. I was so glad that we got to experience the Negev with our partner cohort, Etzba HaGalil, because I had missed them all so much and we had lots of time to catch up!
At the beginning of the Kennes, Avraham Infeld gave an amazing speech focusing on the idea of Jewish peoplehood. It was really meaningful to me because it gave me the feeling that Jews can be united through anything. Although there is, even now, some internal conflict in Judaism and Jews have faced persecution throughout history, we have successfully stayed connected as a people. Avraham Infeld introduced the concept of the five-legged table of Jewish Identity, the legs being memory, family, covenant, Israel, and Hebrew. The following workshops, based on these concepts, definitely helped me to both struggle with and strengthen my Jewish identity.
I loved everything about being in the Upper Galilee – it felt like home, even as we approached it for the first time. Our opening ceremony featured a fantastic video created by some members of our the Etzba HaGalil group and they got us really funny and cute t-shirts, bringing our Diller t-shirt count up to 4! I loved staying in my host Noam’s house, her family was so welcoming – we had a family barbeque along the Jordan and I got to participate in the family Skype with her sister, who is currently working in Kansas. In the Upper Galilee, I really loved going rafting on the Jordan, attending the Maccabi games opening ceremonies and seeing Hadag Nachash, visiting many of the kibbutzim of the Etzba HaGalil fellows, and taking Jeeps up into the hills. Her mom also made me two sandwiches every day (even though lunch was always provided) and cried when I left. I think about Israel (especially the Israeli Diller Teen Fellows) often, and I hope to go back soon. I have read a lot about the recent attacks on Israel and I hope for peaceful resolutions.
My Israel Summer Seminar experience was...magnificent. I am appreciative of each of the members of the SF-UG partnership’s unique personality, which really added so much to the trip. I am so grateful to Helen Diller and the Diller family, as well as everyone who has worked to continue the program’s growth.

- Hannah Rosenblum


No comments:

Post a Comment