Thursday, August 18, 2011

Israel in the US

The Israel Summer Seminar experience not only gave me memories to last a lifetime but also provided me with insight and friendship. As I have begun the college essay process, I have come to realize that almost everything that I write, whether about my favorite book or an experience that touched me, seems to link back to Diller, Israel and/or Judaism. After the initial jetlag wore off and I started to get back into my regular California routine, I realized how much of an impact this past Diller journey has had on me. I find myself looking up at the sky here in the city and remembering sleeping in the Negev where we were dependent upon natural lights, the stars and the moon. From there, I remember how materialistic our adolescent lives here in America can be and I remember that I have a choice in remembering and appreciating the little things, the important things, in life. Similarly, I can not stop thinking about Congress and how we had some of the most intense discussions I have ever participated in in such secure, safe, stimulating environments. From Congress, I learned not only about Judaism and Israel but about identity and emotional strength. Finally, our last week in Israel in Kiryat Shemonah holds a special place in my memory because I started off the week so scared, so nervous and yet by the end of the week found myself feeling so comfortable and at-ease. I can honestly say that I learned more during our three weeks in Israel than I think I have ever learned in a classroom. I learned about community, friendship, and myself and these are lessons that I can take with me far beyond high school.
My last words are for the Diller family. Thank you all for such an incredible opportunity and an unforgettable summer. I have so many new perspectives on life because of all you and the impacts that each one of you have made on my Jewish identity. Thank you.

(Brought to you by Ellie Rosenthal)

No comments:

Post a Comment