Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Ben Yehuda Street 7/20/13



Just a few short days ago, we spent time on Ben Yehuda Street in Jerusalem. As enticed as I was to be surrounded by beautiful shops with handcrafted souvenirs and spectacular Judaica, my highlight involved five Christian missionaries, a guitar, and a whole lot of ahava (love).

As I made my way down Ben Yehuda street during our designated free time, I spotted Ethan sitting with a group of blonde haired, blue eyed young men and women; each about 25 years of age. As I got closer, I heard them singing an unfamiliar yet beautiful song with such visible passion. Ethan invited me to join their group, and I eagerly sat down on the cold cobblestone pavement and joined in with the singing to the best of my ability. I was immediately greeted by smiling faces and we began to converse. It turns out, they were from Norway, on a spiritual journey in what they referred to as "the most spectacular holy land of Israel".  It soon became evident to me that they were Christian missionaries, and it immediately warmed my heart that these non-Jews had such a tangible passion for my favorite place in the world that is so often unfairly judged. We then discussed the overlap of various aspects of both religions; which prophets, values, and stories we have in common. I found it strikingly beautiful that in a world where different religions can cause such vast amounts of hatred, I actually experienced the very opposite. In fact, they went on to praise me and Ethan, explaining that that the Jewish people are in fact the Chosen People and that they respect, admire, and adore the Jews around the world.

In a world where outward support and adoration for the Jewish people and Israel is not always valued, it was beyond gratifying to hear these words spoken with so much passion from the mouths of non-Jews. As I hummed along to their songs, and they to mine, I found myself overcome by a magnificent sense of oneness and hope. This encounter warmed my heart in a way that I had never before experienced. Only in Jerusalem could such a sacred experience occur. I will forever treasure this beautiful encounter that sparked the light of hope that I now carry with me.

-Hallie Goldstein

No comments:

Post a Comment