Wednesday, August 22, 2012

"We Felt Like a Family"


What an amazing summer I had! I can’t even begin to describe the change that occurred within me during my three weeks in Israel. When I think back to all that we’ve done, certain memories stick out, but the ones that stick out the most are the people I met. Not only do I feel as though the SF cohort became incredibly close, I also believe we became a cohesive partnership with the Upper Galilee cohort. I feel connected to the most amazing Jewish teenagers in Israel and that’s something very few programs can offer.

Other memories also stand out, such as deciding that we would tackle a four hour hike in the hot Negev as a partnership. Not only did everyone finish, but we were also cheered on as we came to the end of the hike. We felt like a family, everyone helped each other have a wonderful experience. I also remember making a difference in the lives of young children. We got to paint and garden for a psychology office for children and we got to spend time with Ethiopian Jewish children. Some who were so new to Israel they barley knew Hebrew. These experiences have brought two cohorts together in so many more ways than just a partnership, we are now a family.

SF-UG volunteering with newly arrived Ethiopians (photo: Sam Maller)
 Through Kennes and Congress I learned a lot about myself and the role Israel will play in my life. I know I want to learn Hebrew and be able to speak it fluently as well as study abroad for a semester once I’m in college. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to do these before I left for Israel. I also realized how lucky I am to be Jewish. I realized that Judaism is not just a religion and that there are so many things I can connect to besides being spiritual. I know Judaism will play a large role in my life to come.

Overall I had the best time in Israel and I know I will go back someday. I also know I will use my leadership skills throughout the rest of my life and that is something I cannot be thankful for enough. I want to thank Helen Diller and everyone else who are apart of the Diller foundation for making this experience possible. I would also like to thank Sam, Sarnia, and Aaron for guiding me through a change I didn’t think was ever possible. 

I had an unforgettable summer. 

Sincerely,
Jenny Gross

Jenny forging a relationship (photo credit: Sam Maller)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment