Wednesday, August 22, 2012

We, the Fellows


It sounds cliché, but it is difficult deciding where to begin my experience in Israel through the Diller program. During the closing ceremony on the last day of the trip, I presented a speech about my experience throughout the three weeks (first of all, I have always had stage fright. I doubt I would have had the courage to voluntarily give a speech before this trip). I began by explaining that beginning from the flight to Israel, I knew that this trip was going to be like no other. As two of the fellows took the initiative to guide us through the airports, it was pretty obvious that we, the teens, were going to be shaping our own experiences.
            
One experience that stood out to me during the trip was Community Week. Knowing that we, the fellows, planned the week was very rewarding. During Community Week, we found a way to balance a sense of fun and a sense of seriousness. While we did many fun activities, such as rafting and milking cows. We also did many serious things, such as visiting memorials and visiting an army base. No matter what it was that we did, our cohort found a way to make life long memories and learn extensive amounts about ourselves and about Israel.

One of the most incredible take-aways from the trip is the relationship that our cohort made with the Israeli cohort. We made friendships with the Israelis that will last for a life time. Having the opportunity to stay in an Israeli’s home and truly become immersed into the Israeli lifestyle was something I will never forget.

Overall, this trip was absolutely incredible. I am so thankful to have experienced Israel in such a unique way and with such amazing people. Anyone can travel to Israel, but only Dillers can experience the land and the people as uniquely as we did. 

With gratitude,

Lindsey Berger 


Lindsey enjoying a mindful moment in Israel (photo credit: Sam Maller)

No comments:

Post a Comment