Tuesday, August 5, 2014

TOSS 2014-Peace Village Interfaith Summer camp cohort 17


Two years ago, I was a Teen Leader at an interfaith summer camp called Peace Village. I was disappointed when I realized I couldn’t work there this summer, because I was going to be in Israel with Diller. Since we didn’t go to Israel, I decide to contact my rabbi and the others in charge about having Diller help out. It worked out perfectly since they needed volunteers to watch the children during lunch.

We listen to the Torah story of Abraham, Sarah and Hagar told by Rabbi Callie. The campers were hearing the story told from different perspectives throughout the week. It led right into a program I led about perspective and point of view. Each fellow wrote down what they remembered from the first Diller meeting. So much had happened, we had all forgotten quite a bit, however, each person remembered something a little different, and had felt slightly different emotions.

After our brief Diller program, we went out to watch the campers while the Teen Leaders, many of whom I am friends with, had a break for lunch. Initially, all of the fellows were hesitant to move over to the tables were the campers were sitting. This is partly because they were all getting up to wash their hands. When we all finally sat down, the fun began. One girl began telling me the backstory of all her dragons. Some of the boys began throwing airplanes at Jack.

Soon the campers had devoured their lunches, so Ophir began leading some games. We played Sharks and Minions, and Chain Tag. The kids loved it. We all ran around smiling having and blast. Too soon it was time to leave; all of the kids looked really sad when we had to leave. It was so much fun connecting and playing with wonderful kids.


We, the fellows, ended the day with a pizza lunch from Amici’s and CREAM and T-Pumps for dessert.

-Katie Wysong 

No comments:

Post a Comment