Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The 2012 North American Seminar--Reflections on Partnership

Hello Everyone,

The San Francisco and the Upper Galilee Diller Teen Fellows, along with seven other North American communities and their partner cities, experienced the amazing and incredible partnership coming alive.  This is a process where two groups become one community and begin to realize the collective strength they share.  It was certainly heart-warming to see the North American and Israeli teens bond, work together, and overcome language barriers.  So much so that a few North American teens offered to write about their experiences during the North American Seminar and how it impacted them.  The first comes from Jenny Gross, who writes about her Home Hospitality guest Yarden.  Enjoy!


How do I even begin to describe the time I spent with Yarden and the rest of the Israelis? After taking time to reflect about the North American Seminar, I feel as though a connection has been built between the people of Israel and us Dillers here in America. Now, we all have close friends that are there for us. While they may be in Israel, they are an easy reach away through the Internet. I do not feel that twenty Israeli teens left a week ago, I feel as though twenty of my close friends have left. I look forward to the summer to meet them again and deepen the connection that has already begun to happen.

Hosting Yarden in my home was like nothing I have ever done before. I got the opportunity not only get to know her better, but also to understand what its like to live in Israel. I learned that there is conflict between the Orthodox Jews and the rest of Israel because since most of the Orthodox Jews do not fight in the army. The rest of Israel constantly questions the fairness of this.  I can only begin to imagine what it is like to not only be the center of conflict with neighboring countries, but also have conflict within your own country.
But I also learned that Yarden along with most other Israel teens are very similar to us American teens. They like to sleep in, they don’t like homework or tests, they like to shop, and they love to just spend time with their friends. Even though Yarden and I live so far apart, I feel as though she is my neighbor and I will see her soon. This experience has changed they way I view Israeli teens and I am excited to learn even more about them when we travel back to Israel this summer.

With much appreciation,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment