Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Israel Summer Seminar 2014- Junior staff training cohort 17

After landing 2 hours late we met up with all the other North American JC's and hopped on the bus to Sede Boker. 

While we had great bonding time with the JC's with the beautiful desert landscape right behind us, we also worked hard to prepare for and discuss our hoped to be upcoming Kennes.


We then moved up to Tiberias where we have been staying in the King Solomon hotel, overlooking the vast, deep blue Kinneret. We met up with the Israeli staff and for a few days we worked hard preparing for congress, having meaningful discussions,  and bonding in and out of the hotel. Whether it was making chocolate in a local factory, dancing on a boat in the middle of the Kinneret, or hanging out with everyone at a water park, memories and friendships were made this week that will surely last a lifetime. 
                       


 
I can easily say that this has been one of the most meaningful and eye-opening weeks of my life. Despite the situation going on in Israel, I have never felt safer in my life. I feel that being here now is more important than ever. The connection to the land and to the people that I feel right now is nothing like I have ever experienced. We are soon off to home hospitality where I will be staying with my partner from last year. I am anxiously awaiting to see what amazing things are to come on this trip and I am counting the days until the fellows arrive. 

-Philip Junior Staff Cohort 17


Yesterday, we volunteered at a summer camp at Kibbitz Genosar, where we taught the kids about flags around the world, helped them create a personal flag, and taught them words in English. I had so much fun there running around with all the kids for three hours that I didn’t even realize how tired I was. Thankfully we went straight back to the hotel afterwards were we all took 5 hour naps to restore our energy.

Today we went to Mount Arbel where we saw an amazing lookout over the entire Galilee area. We also learned a little bit about Christianity and Jesus and how the Galilee is very important to the Christian world. Later we all went separate ways to different host homes. Philip is staying with one of our friends from last year and I am staying with a tzama member (Logistical Junior staff) and Ethan who is one of the Baltimore JCs.

Considering all that has been going on this has by far been the best experience I have ever had. I truly feel as if I am living history and not just walking on historic land. I feel completely safe here and we have all learned that its ok to switch up the schedule and be flexible (sometimes it makes things better, for example the chance to make your own chocolate). Although this is not the ISS that I was essentially expecting, it seems to be better and I get to see Israel through a different lens. I can’t wait for you to all get the chance to experience Israel in a way so different than any other.

Lila Tov, (well Boker Tov for all of you)
-Rachel Junior Staff Cohort 17

No comments:

Post a Comment