Friday, April 4, 2014

Ma’agal Madness and other thoughts- NAS Retreat 2014 Cohort 17



If the first day of the Shabbaton had a theme, it would undoubtedly be “enthusiastic exhaustion.” It seemed that Thursday was even more of a whirlwind than the opening ceremony the night before. To be seated in a hot bus with bags stacked in the aisles and 40 other teens for several hours doesn't sound ideal, but looking back I somehow can’t imagine doing anything better. It’s hard to fathom how the Israeli fellows could exert any energy towards us whatsoever (considering that their internal clocks probably had broken gears at this point), but as demonstrated by their animated reaction to simply crossing the Golden Gate Bridge, they seemed to have no shortage of pizzazz to put forth.  Roughly 2 hours and 5 new Israeli slang words later, we arrived at Camp Newman. After receiving our bunk mates and settling in briefly, we made our way to the dining hall. The Americans, I’m sure, all had a knot of dread tied in their stomachs, but seeing our partners’ exuberance, it was hard to focus on the less than gourmet cuisine. Once dinner was over, activities and ice breakers ensued in true Diller fashion. The most memorable perhaps being the partner activity in which we were instructed to act out a particular place from each other’s homes. I have to say, some of the representations I saw should have been deemed the new wonders of the world. I found it hilarious and amazing that we were all able to pull ourselves together and overcome fatigue, language barriers, and unfamiliarity all for the sake of this one exercise, which I suppose was the whole point of it to begin with.

While of course truly interacting with the Israeli teens for the first time carries special significance that I won’t be soon to forget, the most memorable and most outrageous part of Thursday in my humble opinion was our ma’agal that night. I can say with confidence I was only about 60% conscious for its duration, and I’m assuming others might concur. But while we were all completely burnt out, I was definitely impressed that we were able to come up with a proper mission statement for community week. Strangely enough, I found this combination of serious work and sheer hysteria a pretty good representation of our cohort’s dynamic. Out of disorganization and lightweight delirium, we still managed to be productive (to an extent). Even in that state of weariness, I could see we were primed to develop new in-depth acquaintances, continue to get closer as a cohort, and ultimately make the most of our time at Newman, no matter how much sleep we would end up getting. In retrospect, I’d gladly have traded in those hours for the new experiences and friends I gained, and it’s safe to say the ends more than justified the means. 





By Samara Meyer

No comments:

Post a Comment